Saturday, June 30, 2007

Athens: Greece's Pieces Part Four

Oliver Brackenbury, standing in front of famous things(like he did something) since 1982.

Right then, you've probably noticed all the scaffolding and other construction paraphenalia surrounding the Parthenon. This is not a recent thing, actually, and if you see a picture of the Parthenon where it isn't having restoration work done then that picture is at least fifty odd years old. The following is a quick video of me spinning on the spot to try and connect things a bit better. I breath SO LOUD, apparently?

The one moderin-ish structure atop the Acropolis is a small museum, whose air conditioning is a godsend after climbing in the heat. Walking around it I noticed an amusing theme where you'd keep running into four out of an original set of six statues or two out of an original set of four plates. Looking to the information plaques there was a highly repetitive theme of delicately worded explanations telling of how the British had taken various artefacts "for safekeeping during Greece's more turbulent times" and....you know....still had the sodding things. The Elgin Marbles are a pretty classic case where the English didn't leave anything for the Greeks.
Anyways! There are approximately a million billion more things I could go on about with all the other ruins, but it would get monotonous! Suffice to say, I spent the rest of the day seeing more of the sights and I had a great dinner, near yet more ruins, with which I tried the greek liqour known as Ouzo. Have you tasted black licorice? Then you have tasted Ouzo, in solid form. My waiter suggested I have a slice of fried cheese as it is supposed to compliment the Ouzo - but it did not! TRUE STORY.
So I'll wrap this up with a fuzzy picture from my hotel window. I tried to capture the Parthenon as it is at night, all underlit with several powerful spotlights. I suppose I should have walked back up to it when night fell - but I was plum tired and needed to get up early the next day for the cruise!

No comments: