Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Athens: Greece's Pieces Part Three

The neighborhood of Pelaka wraps around the northern and eastern sides of the Acropolis. It's known for good cafe's and shops. I ate here a couple of times and enjoyed several walks through the neighborhood. If you don't like being harrassed by middle-aged men who want you to eat at their cafe, you might not like it as much as I did! As with taxi's, don't take any of their shit - there will be another cafe in ten to thirty seconds of walking. To my delight, there is a real dearth of fast foot in Athens (I saw one Subway and a burger chain called "Goody's", that is all!) and thus a vast multitude of cafes and restaurants. Moving on!
I shot up the wrong path while trying to find the entrance in the wrought iron fence which surrounds the Acropolis and all the while I kept noticing this mountain palace in the distance. It definitely seems to be the second highest point in the city and nobody I asked could tell me if it was a mosque, a palace or what. Ten thousand internet points for anyone who can figure it out! It's also very easy to end up wandering through people's homes on the eastern Acropolis mountainside. More than once I wound up in people's back yards, but luckily avoided causing an international incident. Eventually I figured it out though, I'm such a clever boy.
Tonight we finally ENTER the Acropolis. Until then let the cold, touching, loving, court-order defying stare of Triplex keep you company. I found him in a great print shop in Pelaka.
He's gonna touch you in places no Doctor has ever found.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

...Triplex is wonderfully creepy, good sir. He knows where you live and, when you least expect it, he will have sex with you.

Now, as for your internet points, you're looking at Mount Lycabettus (also rendered as Lykavittos), the tallest point in the city. At the top is the 19th century chapel of St. George, a restaurant, an a theatre.

Oliver Brackenbury said...

Damnnnnnn

Here you go sir, they are redeemable at reputable internet pawn shops (there are none).

How'd you find that out from just a picture?

Anonymous said...

How did I find out? Because I am The Bat.

Actually, I just googled for pictures of Athens, found a similar looking hill, googled the name of that site for triagulation of information, found a picture taken roughly from the same spot you were standing. The site confirmed, I then did some quick browsing and voila! 10,000 internet points for Shameful Thomas. Finding things is what I do.

Oliver Brackenbury said...

Well I'll be damned. Interesting that it's the highest point in the city - I thought the major point of any Acropolis of the old Greek city city states was that IT was the highest and most defensible point?