Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Not Athens, sorry!

All my pictures are at home, waiting to be uploaded when I get home from work.

But I do want to share something. I'm sure Tony Blair's stepping down (finally, he announced it almost a year ago) this past weekend has had a reasonably prominent place in news outside England. What might not be coming out at a loud enough volume for all to notice is the answer to the question "So just what is Gordon Brown going to do?".

This article breaks it down into various categories, the Climate Change section being the one that prompted this post. I added the bold section but otherwise left it unedited.

"Mr Brown commissioned and accepted the results of the report on climate change by Sir Nicholas Stern in October 2006, which said that global warming could shrink the world economy by 20%. He has supported EU and British targets for carbon reductions. So he is on board for international action over climate change, which has come increasingly to dominate world economic discussions. In March 2007 he said: "The foundation of this must of course be a new international agreement to reduce greenhouse gas emissions beyond 2012." He added: "My ambition is to build a global carbon market, founded on the EU Emissions Trading Scheme and centred in London." He has even appointed the former US Vice President Al Gore as an adviser and action on global warming is another issue on which he is likely to differ from President Bush."

I've found myself wobbling a bit in regards to wanting Gore to run for President. He certainly could do a lot if he won. But if more world leaders start appointing him as a kind of climate change court wizard...well, it's a tough thing to figure out in which role he could accomplish more.

3 comments:

Shawn M. said...

Please! He prefers to be referred to as the Goracle.

Author said...

I'm torn they way you are regarding Gore... have you read 'The Assault on Reason' yet? I thoroughly recommend it!

Oliver Brackenbury said...

Yessir Tania, I bought it two weeks ago and tore through the bugger in a day and a half. It was a great read, even though a lot of it seemed ovious to me - it wasn't written for me. Plus even the parts that seemed like common sense were made perfectly excusable since a lack of common sense is one of the things he's trying to rectify!

The Goracle of where, though?