Friday, June 29, 2007

Ah geez

Like a lot of people I knew and know in Canada, I used to be in the habit of making all sorts of cynical jokes regarding terrorism that reflected how little I took it seriously. It's a pretty abstract thing for someone living in Ottawa.

But I had to dial that back a great deal when I moved to London, where the 7/7 bombings were still a recent memory and some people could become justifiably offended or at least give you a foul look in response to such humour. Now the majority of "terrorist threats" which are "thwarted" tend to just be a case of police not liking the look of two brown guys checking their watches, but todays event in Picadilly Circus might just suceed in convincing me to take this stuff more seriously. I'll have to see how the investigation plays out...

Addendum: The story develops.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to London? I've been in London when tube statiosn have been closed due to the IRA, and yeah, it does make you realize that your take the threat of terrorism for granted in Canada (and elsewhere). Take it seriously, but don't let it consume your life.

Or move to Isreal so that when you move back to London it will seem safer by comparison.

Shawn M. said...

So long as you see through bullshit propaganda efforts, you are okay.

Take this, for example:

Portrait of the Modern Terrorist as an Idiot.

Ηυσεβιος Μαρκος said...

the middle path...somewhere between Curtis' The Power of Nightmares and living in complete bush induced terror...


in a completely unrelated note, and a much lighter one, are you catching up on RTD's doctor who series 3? the season finale is tomorrow guest starring Jon Simm formerly of Life on Mars, a serious step up in quality since the last one IMHO

Oliver Brackenbury said...

Heh, thanks Shawn - I'd read that article but the reminder is pleasant.

I'd lean closer to an Adam Curtis take on the problem any day of the week. I mean, I'm not livin' in FEAR or anything.

Anyways, I don't have a TV Marc! But I should see what Doctor Who there is on TV-Links. They also have Life On Mars there, which I should totally check out. I've heard all sorts of good things about both. Sadly, the most recent Doctor Who I saw was the Season Two with the Cybermen.

I've been thinking about getting a TV and basic channel package but it is reallllly hard to justify the expense when I've got broadband, you know?

Shawn M. said...

You can watch Dr. Who on the internet! Check out them there TV links!