Monday, June 25, 2007

Athens: Greece's Pieces Part One

Phew! So I'm back and today itself wasn't too bad. It turns out that my magnificent prize for being temp of the month was a free lunch at a nice restaurant in Holborn with my recruitment agent, a nice girl with a penchant for athleticism. That plus half a day off which left me in Central London...but the heck with that -OFF TO ATHENS.

Crossing the channel, just as we hit France.

So yes, I left late the previous Saturday, stopped over in Frankfurt and then hopped down to Athens. I arrived at something like 2:30am local time. I was a bit knackered but luckily had the chutzpah to not take any shit from pushy cabbies. Athens, no exaggeration, probably has about one taxi on the road for every three other automobiles. One piece of solid advice I can give is that if you go to Athens and a cabby seems pushy or suspicious? Fuck'em, wait (often literally) thirty seconds and another will come along.

The view from my room, looking down Sygerou avenue - a main strip that runs from the docks up through central Athens.

Sorry to just drop two lame-o tame-o pictures and end it here, but jet lag just coshed me over the head and I have to sleep or die. Tomorrow I should be over the time displacement and be all set for a long narrative about my first day, in which I tromped all over the classic sites of ancient wonder which lay within the city proper.

No comments: