Monday, September 10, 2007

Jahb, jahhhb, JAHB!

As first days go, this was pretty okay! The office is nice, the coworkers are very sociable and all around nice folk. The work itself wasn't too complex but then I doubt they'd entrust me to defending the Earth from the interdimensional Hounds of Tindalos on my first day.

The commute was surprisingly docile compared to what I expected, it seems the Picadilly Line is much less rammed in the mornings than the Northern Line. Thus I was able to get a decent amount of writing done while A) sitting down and B)not having somebodies quivering flesh jamming me into the unyielding glass and steel of the car itself.

Quivering.

I'd have taken some photographs and explored during lunch, except the people in my department all went to a really nice local pub where, wonders of wonders, drinks were A)had B) paid for on the company tab. Well, I wasn't exactly going to say no to that now was I? Hi-larious drunk bubbles passed across my eyes for the first hour (I generally avoid spending money on alcohol while unemployed or pseudo employed, as I've been the past while, so my tolerence had plummeted) but I persevered.

Addendum: You know you're on the internet when you encounter the following phrase "So I came across this hilarious blog post where Wil Wheaton integrates a magnificent Tycho quote into a funny story". Ah, but it's true and I must share it because the bookending story is fine but the Tycho quote made me laugh until I damn near wet myself because it was, as they say, so very true. You don't have to be some big programming geek to enjoy it, you just have to have been alive more or less.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hounds of Tindalos, eh? I guess the office training manual was called " Life Without Angles". That said, I was always fond of the Picadilly Line, though I can't say I've done the Northern Line. I was always more of a Circle Line man myself.

Oliver Brackenbury said...

I haven't made much use of the Circle line, maybe having ridden it two or three times since I came over. Part of this may be because it gets shut down for repairs/improvments more than all the other lines. That isn't because it's unsafe or anything, it's just that other lines (Hammersmith an Circle, District) can cover it well so...

I've ridden the Northern line more than anything since that's how I can get to Camden, Oxford Circus or right up to Embankment. It's great on weekends or in the evenings, but the could of times I rode it to get to that job in Barbican were total Japan-style meatpressers.