Tuesday, September 11, 2007

If the Middle East were filled with nothing but millions of Olivers...

....then this is how America could win their hearts and minds.

Now I can spend a little money without peeing tears for the next week (?), I thought I'd find a nice cheap paperback to read on the tube. Popping into a Borders, I eventually found a perfect trifecta of classic literature, affordability and environmentalism.
According to a store clerk, Penguin started releasing these 95% recycled editions of old classics (upon which all the money has been made) about six months ago. As you can see in the picture, it only sold for two quid (about $5 CAN/US) and that's just a hell of a deal for a new book. I snapped up Moby Dick, Charles Dickens' Hard Times, Jules Verne's Around the World in Eighty Days, Bram Stoker's Dracula and a collection of selected works by Edgar Allen Poe. Hot damn but I'm covered for the next while! It also strikes me that these would be a great resource for students (all the Shakespearean plays were on the shelf, for example). Can anybody tell me if these are avaliable in Canada as well? If not, they should be!

5 comments:

Author said...

I find the fact that $5 Canadian = $5 American to be both a source of pride and fear. :o

Shawn M. said...

Being in skool has taught me that Penguin is actually a pretty damn okay company. They are okay!

Robert.Near said...

Oliver, cheap editions of classics have been available in Canada for a long time. Whether or not they were on recycled paper I do not know.
Wordsworth editions might've been. When you read them sometimes the ink would rub off on your fingers (I put my finger on the pages when I read. It helps my concentration), like newspaper. Newspaper is printed on recycled paper right?

Sometimes Professors do prescribe cheap editions for students, in the interest of their budget. But often these editions don't feature any notes other than an introduction, which for some, could make reading things like Shakespeare difficult to understand.

I'm just sayin'!

Shawn M. said...

I've always liked Abebooks.com, though I have no idea whether or not they ship to Britain and I am far too lazy to find out!

Oliver Brackenbury said...

I suspect Abebooks.co.uk does!

Haha, I know that Rob. I just meant this specific edition with the 95% recycled fandango going on.

Is all newspaper printed on recycled paper? I'd like it to be, but I have nary an idea as to the actual facts behind that matter.

Also, it's true about the notes (though my Mobdy Dick does have a decent author biography in the front). I guess I just rarely used the things myself. I preferred to work it out through class discussion.