Thursday, March 22, 2007

Oliver Brackenbury : Allusion Incarnate?

O.....o.....okay!

Hello, a portion of www.qwantz.com's readership for today?! I am a friend of Ryan North! We went to school together - twice! And I was there on that ancient day when he was still thinking about doing the comic with astronauts and uh...wow. I thought I was just going to post a couple more pictures of London and do a little blurb before bed but...

Please watch this film trailer I made in the summer and then throw money/film connections? Also, I'd be honoured if any of you stay on as readers of my lil' blog in which I generally talk about London and my creative projects, all under the umbrella of trying to "make it" in "motion pictures". I generally try to make it entertaining and informative while leaving out details such as which toothpaste's packaging really gets my goat (THERE ARE FEW).

Well! I guess...I guess I'll just continue with the entry I had planned - I promise I won't be all stuttery and whatnot in the future, this was just a real big surprise for me!

So, erm, I just got back from meeting a guy who wants me to write a short (15-20 minutes) script based on a couple of ideas of his which revolve around some interesting themes to do with the encroachment of technology on personal freedoms - also there will be a wicked Parkour chase scene. Having just gotten a taste for both chase scenes and action in general while working on the last leg of my Archbrook treatment, I'm happy to sink my teeth into more. It's still early days yet, but I got a good vibe off this fellow and I can at least vouch for his not being a sasquatch rapist (probably).

Anyways, we met in a pub near Liverpool Street Station. As I'm making even more of an effort to carry my camera with me in anticipation of my webcomic (WHICH AIN'T READY YET, PLEASE DO NOT JUDGE THE CRUDE DRAWINGS OF A FEW POSTS BELOW - DINO COMICS FANS!), I expect we'll see an upswing in the amount of nifty London photographs that I post here. We'll start with a picture of the ceiling of the station itself.

And then we have a few pictures I took outside, facing Sun Street Passage. This was definitely one of those little areas of London which conveys both a sense of big-city grandeur and also an oddly intimate feeling that you would normally associate with small villages. I think the fact that the vast majority of (even wealthier, more central) buildings don't go higher than a handful of stories can account for this. Though it has it's share, London certainly doesn't have a love affair with skyscrapers like New York or Tokyo.
That's all for now, inter-net! I'm going to try to de-boggle my mind with a few hours of REM sleep...

2 comments:

Wes Campaigne said...

The skyscrapers in London strike me as... you know how in some cities, in the middle of downtown, you have a park that's basically some open grass, a path through the middle, and a bunch of big tall trees sparsely scattered about?

That's what London feels like, except the trees are skyscrapers and the path is the Thames plus the many pedestrian paths along and across it.

Oliver Brackenbury said...

Hrm, not a bad analogy my man. The Thames is really what defines so much of the feel of the city...plus the skyscrapers are definitely sparse. I've never gotten that "urban canyon" feeling that seems part and parcel of so many major North American cities.