Wednesday, March 21, 2007

3/4 Fandangle

Well, I think I've managed some drawings that induce mild titters rather than bellowing guffaws - so here's where I am thus far. I have decided to pursue something with Clive from my two lil' stories over in Bronze Age Sky God. I've spent more time on notes than art and I guess it shows - it's hard not to give into the temptation to do that which comes easier, you know? The first was more to do with layout and achieving a kind of "tracking shot effect" than actual well drawn characters while the others are more determined efforts. I really want to try and get my drawing of people up to a higher standard if I'm going to experiment with photographs for backgrounds.I think I've reached a reasonable compromise with hands, but I'm also going to have to broker a treaty with the peoples of 3/4 Angle Land before I can feel confident enough to start doing the comic proper. Meanwhile, I've started learning about layers and other such new fangled graphic trickery so that I can try an experiment - the results of which I'll try to have up some time this weekend.

I also considered a small, surreal gag strip where I could relax and make no attempt at beautiful art but instead just vent the kind of ridiculous humour which could find no place in the Clive comic. "Que Pasa Contigo?" is, I believe, Spanish for "What is Wrong with me?" by and by.
In the end, I think you can attribute this to the first internet meme to seize me by the taint in many years. Lo and behold the true face of madness!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pen is mightier than the sword.
Does that still hold true for drawings?

Oliver Brackenbury said...

Well, I'm not sure where a 2B pencil fits into the sword/pen hierarchy - but I'll be in central London today so I'll try to break into The London Library and look that up!

Anonymous said...

Way to get your own Dinosaur Comic!

Oliver Brackenbury said...

Here's hoping! I'd love to be able to support myself from t-shirt sales and the generosity of fans a la Ryan North.

Oliver Brackenbury said...

OMIGOD I JUST SAW IT NOW

Shawn M. said...

SO DID I

KATE

KATE WHY DID YOU NOT INFORM ME OF THIS EARLIER

I THOUGHT

WE HAD A THING

I am having an orgasm! Because not only did I once know Ryan, but I super-know Oliver Brackenbury!

Oh shiiiiiiiiiiit

Shawn M. said...

Oh hey uh

I like the second picture's rendition of Clide. He reminds me of the Beatles in Yellow Submarine, and is thus (insofar as my mind's simplistic representations are concerned!) the typical Englishman.

I dislike the shaggier-haired version that you drew after that. You lost your touch, man! It used to be about the regrets.

Oliver Brackenbury said...

Well, the thing is that between those two drawings my monolithic corporate sponsors ran the first drawing by some focus groups and it turns out the latter rendition of Clive is more popular with soccer moms in Alberta, aged 16-46.

That's just how it goes!