Friday, November 17, 2006

It was s'posed to be so easy!

Okay! So it seems I didn't get the publishing job and the most likely culprit is the film stuff I left on my CV. Despite playing it down as "just a silly hobby", I was deemed too much of a....I guess we'll call it a "flight risk". To add insult to injury, a data entry company in Paddington called me yesterday with an offer of employment. Unsure as to my status with Mintel, I said "Sure!" as the pay was great (ten pounds an hour) and it was a short term contract which would earn me enough cash to get into London. The recruitment guy went "Great! I'll call you back later" then didn't.

Hooo boy.

So I'd be lying if I said I felt at the top of my game right now, but I'm hardly about to give up. I do think I'm getting close to the point of just taking a data entry job or whatever, though, so I can just get set up and continue hunting for film work. One of the nice folk I met in Camden said he'd help me get a job with a telephone charity fundraising company which would pay alright and offer flexible hours. Another week of this nonsense and I might just take him up on the offer.

Meanwhile I've been whoring myself out like the dickens, with more of a focus on film work since the bad news about Mintel. I've also been working more on the horror script, which feels like a sure-shot for reaching feature-length, and have been steadily adding bulk to the next Dirk Hardwood installation.

I wish I had more exciting adventures to post pictures from and all, but it's been a bit dull lately. Lots of job hunting and wishing I had a job, I'm afraid! Sorry guys, I'll have to take up bungee-jumping or alcoholism or something to spice things up.

In the interest of something cheerier, do check out the regularly updated art page of a gent who goes by the alias of "Posterchild". I think it's one of the best things he has done and it almost goes without saying that I greatly enjoy his "Evidence of Batman" series. His philosophy on the reclamation of public spaces by the actual public is also a great read. If you feel like supporting an artist, then you can do so with some of the t-shirts he has made out of his work. Finally, there is also a classic little movement he got rolling.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I suppose if between talking to you and noting what you have already done in terms of film makes someone you've only just met think you have the potential to get a film career started that's a good thing?!

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. I have half a mind to take my B.Sc. off of my resume, just so I can get any kind of job for the time being. It's ridiculous how an emplyer who I've worked for for 6 years won't hire me full time for the exact job I've been doing for 6 years, just because I have a higher education. I guess they left that part out on the university recruitment pamphlets.

Shawn M. said...

Okay, what the hell.

I am so shocked, that I couldn't even use a question mark.

So, the shirts on that artist's website are occassionally being worn by Black Eryn. You know who I am referring to.

Look at the pictures.

Anyway, I tried alcoholism (*sitcom laughter*), and you know it's not really as romantic as the movies and advertisements and parents would have you believe.

Oliver Brackenbury said...

Shawn: Yes, Posterchild is pretty easy to figure out for those who have known him that nebulous realm known as Real Life. Also, was just kidding about the alcoholism. I actually turned down going out to some bars last night.

Ryan: It's tricky! I won't pretend to know the answer to your situation as I am barely grappling with my own. Good luck though!

Jamie: I guess? I think it was more that they worried I would be a flake that at even the slightest hint of film glamour (re: work as a runner) I would dump them. Feh.

Shawn M. said...

Wait, that was Eryn?

Holy shit! She got hella-tanned then. The wackiness!

Shawn M. said...

I just thought this was something similar to Iranian Victor (original typo: "Iranian Victory" - the CIA is now reading your blog!). Remember that dude?