Thursday, October 05, 2006

A slow day (physically) can lead to a quick one (mentally)

I woke up this morning feeling like large portions of my skin, particularly on my face, had transmuted into sheets of lead. Oh well!

Today has been taken a bit easier. It dawned on me that today will be the first day in England where I haven't walked several kilometers while carrying one or more heavy bags. Gee, I wonder if that has contributed to my being tired?

But lo and behold, by giving my body a rest I've found some of the burning intensity that I need to feel if I am to write anything worth looking at twice. I've gotten halfway through my BBC application (which includes a 600 word synopsis/analysis of the last film I saw, I might post that here for comments), written five pages for one of the three script ideas I'm juggling ("Sweet Fever") and even got some joy out of writing a poem (or song or rap, depending on how you want to read it). That last item was a lot of fun because I just let loose and wrote the kind of strange hybrid tract that comes out of me when I am really cheery.

A hydbrid of what? Well, generally some insightful wordplay interspersed with the kind of crass rhymes which would seem out of place anywhere but in an Atlanta men's room stall. Keeping this in mind, it is not at all hard to understand why I love Achewood so much. So damn much.

ANYways...Ryan North also does a webcomic that I love. He is, in fact, pretty much responsible for me getting into the darn things. I always feel kind of guilty when I endorse webcomics that are not his. In other Ryan (and Victor) news, he and his brother have just signed up to do a charity climb of the CN Tower. Head on down to his website if you'd like to sponsor them!

It looks that I am staring down the barrel of a very enoyable weekend in Broadstairs. Lucky me, I got a call from Tim in Reading last night - who made it clear that I was welcome to come over that way for a drink or five when the mood struck me. If it isn't too costly to take the train there, then I think I shall do that on the following weekend. As I recall, Paul (a nice guy who is part of that crew) had dabbled with the BBC as a scriptwriter for Robot Wars (re: Witty Banter). So maybe I could mix some business with my pleasure, depending on where life has taken him in the past two years.

Thanks to y'all for your comments (and emails and gmail chats). Remember, you don't have to be a blogger member to do so. These things help keep me warm in these early, isolated days.

You can stop when I am so wealthy that I have to have my wallet regularly pumped inbetween coating my various posessions with an edible platinum coating. Your words will be too tiny for me then. Just too darn tiny.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of those scripts better be for Mexican Magical Realism Theatre Presents: "My Intership with Joshua Blahyi". Seriously, however, a documentary about the conrete lake in Russia would be awesome in its sheer horribleness. "You thought the Glow from Fallout was post-apocalyptic fiction. You were wrong."

Have you kept up with the Venture Bros? It is killing me. Jesus, I mean Dr. Henry Killinger and his Magical Murder Bag? Blackula hunter? So long as I have Achewood and Venture Brothers, everything is going to be fine.

Oliver Brackenbury said...

I wish! But I daren't do anything that might upset my cousin's computer - so I'll have to wait until next week when her and her husband are back. Her husband is apparently "alright" with comptuers, so he can help me find somewhere to get the right bits. The closest thing to a proper computer that I've been able to find in Tottenham are two seedy internet cafés and the "Computer Interest" magazine section at the local bookstore.

But golly, do I ever want to keep up with it! GOLLY.

Oh well, more incentive to do productive things and/or read more Hunter S. Thompson.

Anonymous said...

One of my favourite web comics recently has been [URL=http://www.drmcninja.com/]this[/URL] one. Hope I haven't added another monkey to your back if you haven't heard of it.

Oliver Brackenbury said...

I just read all of the latest issue. It is pretty sweet! Thanks for the recommendation and don't worry about monkeys - I have yet to get to the point where I have been hurridly putting on my pants, the wife is yelling at me to get to work, the carpool is honking but oh man I just gotta read one more Achewood panel.

I don't have a wife!

Robert.Near said...

just watched the movie trailer. very well shot and the script reeks of Oliver. haha guess when you know the scriptwriter so well it's hard not to make comparisons between the actors and the writers. jia oh on enjoying life in the big LDN

Oliver Brackenbury said...

Cheers, I will!

Ah yes, it is hard to seperate my sense of humour from the characters - something to work on? I suppose Woody Allen got around this by playing 85% of his leads...

Anonymous said...

More like... laid 85% of his leads!