Sunday, March 16, 2008

Meaty Posts should start with Meat


These are the boys, the meaty boys, which have my back this week.
Last night Roberto and I finally saw "There Will Be Blood". I went in with high expectations which were completely met and then met some more. Daniel-Day Lewis earned that fucking Oscar! For those of you have either seen it or don't care about SPOILERS, here is that final scene which made me have to work very hard not to pump my fist into the air and scream "EEEEEE...YYYYUS!". It was not the only scene to have this effect!



For those of you who didn't already know, Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood composed the entire soundtrack and did a magnificent job. During the very few shots where my attention may have wandered - namely broad California scenery shots - his soundtrack kept me absolutely riveted and contributed to the feeling that if I looked away, even for an instant, I would miss yet another magnificent example of What Film Should Do. Here's a clip of the music.



And if you feel like watching one of the horrors I came across in my failure to find my favorite scene, then go on ahead and do that to yourself!



Armed with what I knew going in, I very much expected the film to be evenly split between Eli the young pastor and Daniel the oil man. I should have paid more attention to the poster! This is a Daniel Day-Lewis marathon and though other actors put in strong performances, this really is all about him. He owns every scene he is in (about 90%) and you are always curious as to what he'll do next, even if it seems obvious. The charisma of his performance is such that you find yourself looking at the world through his characters own willful, misanthropic, pragmatic eyes and thus your opinion of his two more despicable acts has a way of being more sympathetic than it might be otherwise.

It's a shame we had to wait five years for another Paul Thomas Anderson film, but it was a wait that was richly rewarded. His cinematography took a film which may appear to have no need for the big screen and made that size screen borderline mandatory. Columns of oil, gritted teeth, bible thumping and other things which are not CGI muppets are presented with an intensity that matches Daniel Day-Lewis's frequent outbursts - including a part about halfway into the film where he just slaps the shit out of the sniveling young priest (which, frankly and a little sadistically I admit, I could watch on a continuous loop for some time).

So yes, this kind of plays to my "beliefs" at times and thus the final facet which the film maker has little control over - whether or not the story plays to your personal views - also fell into place. Grab your wallet and run to the theater as fast as you can!Speaking of the imaginary beast brigade, the second big Scientology protest happened yesterday in 'celebration' of L. Ron Hubbard's birthday. The Toronto protest got a decent crowd and I nabbed a few photographs. Good on the three hundred plus got out there and gave these odious shit-merchants a poke in the eye. Another protest is already planned for April 12th and I think I'll finally participate.Finally, I've recently learned of a real-life fellow who seems every bit as driven and strangely admirable as Daniel in "There Will Be Blood". His name is Joaquin Balaguer and I strongly suggest giving his wikipedia entry at least a little perusal, as he is just about the best example of a literal enviro-fascist as I've ever come across in my readings on history and politics.

8 comments:

Author said...

I'm glad you enjoyed that movie, as well. Very good analysis - you're right - I found myself 'understanding' what he was doing without realizing it... that's the brilliance of Daniel Day-Lewis. Watch 'Gangs of New York' again, but just for Day-Lewis. That guy should always sport the moustache. In fact, I think that moustache should be brought back. :P

Oliver Brackenbury said...

I am also in favor of a big 'stach coming back into the scene - or, in fact, almost any facial hair.

I've seen bits of "Gangs..." on television over the years and though the ending is the part I saw more than most, this film has in fact convinced me to give it a proper viewing at some point. Even people I know who didn't care for the film as a whole have told me they enjoyed Day-Lewis' performance enough to keep watching all the way through.

It's so weird that I'm just discovering this guy - read his Wikipedia article, you might be surprised by how many of his films you are familiar with and yet had no idea he was invovled with (a big one was "Last of the Mohicans").

Author said...

1. Big moustaches are awesome
2. Daniel Day-Lewis is also awesome - I think I will wikipedia and have a Day-Lewis marathon!
3. I think we're 'just getting to know' him because he's such a great character actor - he embodies the role so well that we don't really know who Day-Lewis is!

PS - For your viewing pleasure :D: http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/02/24/i-drink-your-milkshake-on-snl/

Oliver Brackenbury said...

AH yes, I came across this on Youtube while searching for my favorite scene. It's fun, but suffers from the same trouble as every SNL scene since 1986. Oh well!

I agree, this actor needs some investigating.

Author said...

... and that SNL 'trouble' would be? Enlighten me...

Oliver Brackenbury said...

Good idea or bad, they exhaust it quickly and then struggle to fill out a two to four minute skit. They just haven't been the same since Eddie Murphy left - not that he was the only good thing they had, but his leaving is a pretty good marker for when that odd air of desperation and trying too hard came about on the show.

Author said...

Ah... touché.

Anonymous said...

Ϻicгoѕoft reρortedlу wаnted a ԁiscount оn Office sales through the App Store wаs launchеԁ on the іPhοne 4 S
moԁel whiсh was praсticallу unchanged, compared to an іPhonе 3
GS. The fаct that pupіls can be сontinually in touch with thе people.
You сan also take a photο usіng the appWhen you
load a photo, yοu'll see text instructing you to" double tap to edit text" on the Ipad. The Wi-Fi only versions, 3 G doesn't ѕuck up much of уouг storage.