Thursday, February 21, 2008

Fire follow up

Yeah, I think maybe I was a little quick to condemn the other photographers. What went on yesterday wasn't a sign of the decline of morality and compassion anymore than it was another step towards the BLOGOSPHERE TOTALLY ROCKING THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA YEAHHHHHHHH.

I kid, I kid.

One aspect I neglected to mention was how the cold weather led to a kind of ice palace feeling - I think a real quality photo would have been of the fire rubbing right up against the ice walls created by the hard work of the firemen. But you'll have to settle for these I guess!At one point I caught a television crew on a rooftop, though the silhouette of the camera wasn't turned the right way by the time I got my shot. I couldn't lose the feeling of being a peeping tom catching another. It's a tad puritanical, but I can't quite shake the feeling that nobody should have taken pictures at all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I think your pictures are great and gives me a real sense of the disaster it is.
Losing any part of a city to fire is bad but to lose a sort of heritage area where real people interact on a minute by minute basis is a real disaster to societies fabric.
Also at this level gives real respect to the fire department and the risks they take for the community.

TCG

Oliver Brackenbury said...

Mmhmm! They had another fire up in North York today. It isn't a job I could do without a minimum of whinging, that's for sure.