Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Drat

So it turns out I didn't get the job, namely thanks to the old "Need experience to get a job/need a job to get experience" joke. I've got savings enough to subsist for a while but if I'm still unemployed in about six weeks time then I may be forced to scuttle back to Canada. Even though I've thought about coming back for good in December, during more homesick moments, I really would prefer not to come back quite like that for all sorts of obvious reasons.

The other part of the rejection equation came, I believe, from my answer to what is easily one of my least favorite interview questions. The question was "Where do you see yourself in ten years?".

Now I do appreciate that there are those amongst us who have laid out grand architectural blueprints for their life - where they'll go to school, when they'll marry and precisely what job they shall have at specific ages. But man, even Joseph Stalin only managed five year plans. Even that plucky lil' fella. I myself am certainly not someone who can plan that far ahead in any meaningful way. I can fantasize all day long, but does that count?

Plus, even though it is clear that I was being asked specifically about where I saw myself career-wise the vagueness of the actual wording made me go a bit blank for a brief moment. I think I must have unknowingly given a very mild "Are you stupid? Also I am confused" look as I replied "Happy....?". I recovered my composure pretty quick and tried to cobble together some answer about how I wanted to be an editor and why I would enjoy that but it undoubtedly came across as just what it was - an attempt to give them the kind of answer they wanted.

Meanwhile, ten years ago I was fifteen and thought that maybe I'd like to get a job in marketing since I had cynically and naively deducted that that was a good way to get paid for being creative. Ten years ago I had no thoughts of film as a career (only "writing") and though I had enjoyed my trips to England thus far, I had no thoughts of moving there. Most of that came about seven years ago and I didn't begin to lay any concrete plans until about three years ago.

I completely understand why it is in the best interests of an employer to only hire experienced individuals who have known that they want to work in a specific field since a very young age and that they will continue to be in that field for the rest of their years. It's a much wiser investment then someone with vaguer ambitions who might just as likely try the role out only to discover it's not for them as they would fall in love with it and be a loyal employee for years to come. This is what makes it all the more maddening that I didn't figure out what I wanted to do at a very young age. Still, knowing this, it is hard to feel that folk aren't looking for someone whose first words were more along the lines of "In twenty years I see myself working in my second job along the corporate ladder as a Junior Assistant at a prestigious corporate law firm in either Boston or New York."

"Also, ma-ma!".

Addendum: The BBC had a great pair of articles today, one on a rather ambitious project and another on how a lot of people are missing the most obvious way they can help with climate change.

Meanwhile, screw you Londinium - I'm off to Broadstairs this weekend for some sun and beach and not job hunting. I'll be sure to bring my camera and have the webcomic done in advance, which should be a problem for reasons that will become apparent.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I have been accused of being an Eichmann-like Master Planner, but even *I* can't look beyond 5 years (actually, it's usually closer to 2 years)

So much changes in 5 years. Sure, you (universal you obviously) can lay good foundations, say with a Plan A, B, or C, but anything more than that is pure folly in my mind.

That being said, I agree that the world seems to expect that to some extent... I considered applying to med school at one point, but the whole application process is geared towards those people who have been dreaming of being doctors since they were in their mother's womb, picked up their first scalpel at age 5, won consecutive science fair projects with their cure for diabetes, took health sciences in undergrad, specifically so they could be A Doctor. Those of us who find it interesting, would probably be good at it, and only figured this out later in life? Good luck.

Shawn M. said...

Kate, your post made me happy.

Kate and I were also having a discussion related to 'experience' just yesterday, because it's important to have worked or volunteered in any given field while you were attending university.

But then, you did make that movie and collaborated on those other projects? So outside of perhaps volunteering to edit the school newspaper or doing some work with the local film crews in Ottawa (SAW leaps to mind) I really don't know what else you could have done up until now. Hmmm.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you were over qualified?
Post production smells of neat freak, nit picking,anal retentive types. They can sniff out a creative, freewheeling, chaos causing type from a mile off.

Anonymous said...

So far I've seemed to avoid the Omega Trap of the work/experience death spiral by the simple fact that an MLIS degree seems like a shining golden key that will unlock the chastity belt of the job marketplace for me. Still, I am always a little nervous as I have yet to have actually really work in a library, aside from my practicum and my work with Canadiana.org.

You are right, damnabily right, about the 10 year question being kind of retarded. I know of very few people who have planned out their life for the next ten years, less so in our age group. When I was 15, all I wanted to be was a paleontologist. Now I am a librarian(in training). Where do I see myself in ten years? Hopefully employeed, making money, and suffering from First World Problems. I've never really planned out my career like an architect, but more like a mason, laying brick by brick. I think employers need to be more aware of the masons as they can have the same drive and dedication as the architects.

And so on.

Oliver Brackenbury said...

Tom, I gotta say I am very fond of your masonry metaphor.

And yeah Shawn/Kate (Shate!), I'm not sure what else a fella can be expected to do. Well, I guess I can. The non-hyperbolic edition of what they were looking for was probably someone who began editing tapes in high school as a hobby and continued to do it in their spare time ever since.

But we can't all be that! What about those guys who bounce from job to job until they discover at the tender age of thirty-five that they are most excellent at X. The field of politics is fulllll of that kind of person!

Oliver Brackenbury said...

Also, thanks for the kind words "Anonymous". Feel free to use the "Other" option and plug in your first name or a moniker of your choosing. Not that I plan to stalk, but it's always nice to have a consistent name for a member of the conversation.

Unless, of course, you prefer total anonyminity - in which case there isn't anything let to say about that!

Anonymous said...

Great.... Shate is like the past tense of "Shite".

Anonymous said...

You like it? It's yours! Happy belated birthday. I guess I can keep that other stuff...

And judging how people seem to juggle Cabinet positions, I reckon that plently of people in politics have yet to find what they are good at.

Anonymous said...

Some people are just very good at being politicians- the portfolio itself means very little. It's not as though Ministers set policy anyways- usually the party does that and it's implemented by the Deputy Minister (a public servant) and below.

Oliver Brackenbury said...

Speaking of politicians - what the heck is a shadow government in the legitimate sense? I'm often hearing about shadow ministers and cabinest in England.

Re: Shate
That's why I like it! I'm a nice.

SO NICE.

Oliver Brackenbury said...

NICE "GUY".

Bah!

Anonymous said...

Every opposition party has a "shadow government". I'm tryign to think of a coherent way to explain it...

It's a way of divvying up the duties of critiquing the government. The government has a Minister of Defense, right? Each opposition party will have a Defense critic as part of their "shadow government", as well as an "Agriculture critic", a "Foreign Affairs critic", etc.

Clear as mud?

Oliver Brackenbury said...

Actually, that's pretty helpful! Thanks!