Monday, February 05, 2007

UFO's and a Giant Phallus, also decisions!

So it seems that during my fairly peaceful weekend I missed an alien armada in my neighborhod?

Also it turns out that London's most phallic building has a public observation deck at one of it's highest levels. I reckon I'll make an expedition to that sometime soon, expect some classy pictures!

I'm really torn, at the moment, as to where to go with the Panico courses. The most expensive (in time and money) option that I am looking at is The Foundation course. Looking at the timetable I can see that though I have some experience with a lot of what is mentioned, I could certainly benefit from further instruction. Not to mention that there is a lot of non-digital filming to be done, which is something I have NO experience with. It's £800, with £200 as an upfront deposit. But at the end of it I'd have a short flick under my belt, the option for membership and those beloved fellow young flm maker contacts (presuming my social skills haven't atrophied too much these past weeks!).

However, this would definitely make a big dent in my potential savings and would probably delay my coming to visit Ottawa in June. But someone I was speaking with last night made the very rational point that I didn't go to all the trouble and expense of coming to England just so I could hurry back to visit Canada!

But if I do take the more conservative route, I'd go with a combination of The Advanced Directing Workshop and the From Script To Screen course, in no particular order. As far as I'm concerned, my writing is at a pretty good level right now. It's not that I couldn't learn more, of course, but that I think your standard scriptwriting courses have nothing new to offer me. I think if I did do a writing course, it would have to be something a bit more special than the standard "So you have characters, right? And they gotta have, like, motivation". Meanwhile both directing and knowledge of the business are areas where I suffer a dearth of knowledge and I'd like to remedy that.

What is a lad to do?

6 comments:

Shawn M. said...

Look at the bright side:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070202/lf_afp/franceeducation_070202161200;_ylt=Ar5bTNf5McFmnPuRhd16Z5D1_sEF;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA

Shawn M. said...

Er, you should be able to double-click on that link and copy it.

Also, I had my third or fourth dream ever wherein I was stuck in the World Trade Center at a decidedly inopportune time?

Thanks, uh, news? Culture? I need to blame someone for this shit! Maybe I will send threatening letters to Oliver Stone...

Anonymous said...

What should you do? You could fuck Ann Coulter in the ass, hard?

Seriously, however, do some serious research into all the places and course and find out what what people have been saying about them. It's a good idea, but you don't want to get hosed.

Also, coming back to Ottawa is a Good Thing, but you should focus on establishing yourself in England first (this from the guy who has spent every opportunity to fly home at every break so far this year). That said, if you think it'd be good for your sanity to come back to Canada for a bit, do so. If anything, hanging out with us may cement in your mind that moving to England was the Right Thing To Do.

Shawn M. said...

Also, for extra laughs, check this shit out:

http://www.clipstr.com/videos/NormMacDonaldOwningCarrotTopOnConan/

I don't know if you're much of a fan of Norm MacDonald, but the nut of the story is this: He was on Conan, but also totally stoned thanks to a flu he had (and the subsequent medications that he was taking). And then he basically undoes all the work the other guest is doing (a former cast member of Melrose Place) to promote some movie she did with Carrot Top.

Unfortunately the clip doesn't include the pre-commercial bit where it was just Norm being entirely nonsensical and crude, but this certainly gives you an appropriate idea.

Oliver Brackenbury said...

Ah, I ain't so worried about some ignorant bastard who lives in a fantasy world mailing out a whole load of books that will be ignored. Except for the waste of paper, I hope those things get recycled.

Anywho, I've done the research and settled on the lads I've mentioned. The only dilemma is whether or not to put off my visit, but I think the world wouldn't exactly collapse if I came by in July instead of June or the like. We'll see what The Money says when the time gets nearer, I guess!

Anywho, hooray for Norm MacDonald. I wish Conan O' Brian would do something else - the guys is hilarious (re: his episode of The Simpsons are all part of the more widely respected canon) but the late night talk show format is so patently drained of humor that he's wasted on it.

Robert.Near said...

dude, skip coming home in June.Stay a year,come home for Christmas, or the end of Summer, or something. June sounds too early to me. You've been to Carp before.. has it changed that much in the past 24 years? Will it change in ten months? Probably not. What you haven't experienced yet, is Europe. That's where I'd be spending my travel dollars (sorry Eric and Chris!)