Monday, November 05, 2007

South Bank Tour Part 3

People from Ottawa will find this character familiar (and maybe Toronto, has one of these shown up there?).If you want to just walk into the Thames, this is an option.

Addendum: It's Guy Fawkes day to day, but the fireworks have been filling the sky over Islington in the evening since Friday night. It was an odd moment on Friday when I first heard them, since local kids usually screw around with fireworks every once in a while anyways. "Man those kids are getting organized" I thought...

5 comments:

Author said...

Aw, I thought our spider was unique... now it just seems like some kind of mass-manufactured garbage. :( Like, will Walmart be selling them soon in miniature so sub-urbanites can put them on their lawns? Disappointing.

Oliver Brackenbury said...

Well, maybe not lawn ornaments but...

I wish I could remember what they are called, exactly, so I could look up some more information. I swear that the original idea was that more than one would be made and that they would "tour". Anybody able to help on this one?

Author said...

http://cybermuse.gallery.ca/cybermuse/search/artwork_e.jsp?mkey=101000

http://www.gallery.ca/english/default_webcam.htm

The second link is to a live web cam at the front of the gallery... somehow I'm not sure the American Embassy (straight ahead) was consulted on this ;P

Author said...

http://arthistory.about.com/b/a/172842.htm

Apparently it's just one in a series of 6 ...

Oliver Brackenbury said...

Ahhh, I thought there was a series of these guys.

Thanks for the links, it was nice to be illuminated on a work of art that I'd been seeing for so long.