Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A quiet bit

Not much to say today, just two little items

1) Some news about an area of London I know which only serves to reinforce my intense opposition to the terribly problematic notion of cultural relativism. (Little reminder, when the English use the term "Asian" they generally mean people from between Turkey to the Indian Sub-continent, using "East Asian" or "Pacific Asian" to denote what we Canadians usually think of when simply saying "Asian").

2) I was walking to the Tottenham court tube station after having a drink with a friend in Soho when a thought occurred to me. "There is some novelty in walking through this neighborhood in the evening, but not as much as there used to be. On the other hand, it's somewhat personally flattering to think that I'm becoming less of a tourist/immigrant and more of a native".

Huh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely to see London is taking after Tokyo. I wonder if they will coin a cute euphemism for it as well, like Japan's "human-based obstruction on the tracks".

Good to hear you don't feel like a tourist or immigrant.

Anonymous said...

The moss is growing over the rolling stone.