Monday, August 27, 2007

More pictures from Barbican and beyond

If you like churches, then Barbican is the neighborhood for you. I've already counted seven within short walking distance of my work and that isn't including the monolith that is St. Paul's Cathedral. Regardless of one's thoughts on religion, anyone can appreciate the added colour and greenspace which these churches bring. In the garden of a church by the Museum of London I found this fountain, for example.You know you're further into the city because it's considered safe to have these fish where anyone could reach in and grab them. If these were closer out to Finsbury park or my neck of the woods then they'd all be speared on the end of coathangers by "the youth of today".Eventually I found myself in a raised area which encircles the museum, my pictures of which turned out to be a lot more crap than I thought at the time so we'll hold off on those, and was further driven to notice how downright futuristic this area seems in contrast to the rest of London. Just about everywhere was completely coated in glass so you could see what everyone else was doing (and yes, I did catch a guy picking his nose around the twentieth floor of one office building. Sadly I wasn't quick enough with the camera) and the upper area I entered at the Museum extended along quite a few buildings with many of it's own stores and restaurants. I really enjoyed this kind of mini, uber-city...even if it could lead to unintended consequences.As if to accentuate the futurism of the upper stories, there were several small ruins dotted around the base of these skyscrapers. Anyways, I wish I had a quick witted and/or pithy way to finish this post...but I don't!

True story.
-------------------
Addendum: In case there was any doubt as to the Englishness of The Good, The Bad and the Queen...scroll down their merchandise page and you'll see what I mean, just after the badges.

No comments: