Tuesday, July 10, 2007

"SAM I GOTTA GET BACK TO YOU ON MY SMOKING MOBILE PHONE WHICH IS A MORE EXPENSIVE MODEL THAN OLIVERS, SO I CAN BERATE HIM FOR FUNDS I OBVIOUSLY NEED"

Well, it looks like my contact at Network Rail has reached the end of it's continuously extending ways. July 27th will be my absolute last day inputing railway forms in the dingy borough of Barking.

Okay!

Now job hunting has got to get serious. But, on an encouraging note, not more than a few hours after I learned about the contract....I got an email letting me know that I am long-listed for a job whose listing read thusly: "Junior copywriter required for trailer, TV & Radio commercials, at Soho based creative marketing agency. No experience necessary. Must have passion for writing, movies AND commercials."

I have to write a commerical for coffee, a thirty-second tv spot, and have it in before next Tuesday. If it is suitably marvelous then I will be short-listed, which I can only assume leads to an interview (or perhaps some chav wrestling).

Oh oh oh, last night I was harrassed at bank machine by a homeless man - but it soon became okay because he had to take a call on his mobile phone. I considered being a smartarse and waiting for his call to finish so he could resume badgering me for money, but then I remembered there must be a hundred better uses of my time than arguing with somebody who is clearly on the street either by choice or poor decisions. The mentally ill and genuinly disenfranchised of the homeless population don't buy sodding mobile phones!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has the making of an excellent debate...

One of the random tidbits I've picked up here in Ottawa is that to get access to affordable housing, you have to be reachable by phone. If you're not, the spot goes to the next available person. A cellphone becomes a necessity for getting off the street rather than an expensive luxury.

Apparently the housing people aren't so big on waiting for callbacks!

I wonder if there's a similar such situation in London...

Oliver Brackenbury said...

Wow! Well that would make a lot more sense - or at least be easier for me ot justify!

Now the question is, how do they keep them from using their mobile phones to call other homeless people - thus enabling a kind of networking or "hive mind" which will allow them to rise up and overthrow their Eloi masters?

DISCUSS.

Seriously though, that's pretty okay by me then. The problem, then, isn't to do with the homeless themselves but the system that tries to help them. I wouldn't say that's the best solution, but off the top of my head I don't really have a better one.