Tuesday, May 08, 2007

A BLOG POST IS BEING MADE*YOU ARE USING THE INTERNET*YOUR WIFE IS LEAVING YOU...

You know, when I used to watch Star Trek: The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine I often wondered why having so many basic things being announced by the computer didn’t piss people off more. “Well, I’m just glad I don’t live there!” I’d think.

See where this is going?

I could list the full litany but instead I’ll just mention the straw that broke the camel’s back. What woke me up half an hour early today? Why it was a megaphone loud, repeated announcement of “STAND OUT OF THE WAY, THIS VEHICLE IS BACKING UP. STAND OUT OF THE WAY, THIS VEHICLE IS BACKING UP” blasting from the garbage truck outside my house. From transit, to cameras, to trash to appliances….everything in England WILL TELL YOU WHAT IS UP AT THIS PARTICULAR MOMENT AND ALSO MAYBE WHAT YOU SHOULD DO IN CASE SOMETHING BAD HAPPENS.

THEN IT WILL TELL YOU AGAIN.

2 comments:

Shawn M. said...

It is, sadly, an even more effective method of controlling the populace as well. I'm no conspiracy nut, but if you're constantly on the receiving end of loud instructions you tend to act first (i.e., get the shit out of the way) and think later. A combination of Pavlovian psychology and "Harrison Bergeron."

Anonymous said...

To barricades Comrades