Friday, March 09, 2007

That'll learn me to be cynical

I've often exasperated people who find downtown Ottawa hard to get around by mocking them mercilessly. Why do I mock them? Because Ottawa, like most North American cities, is built on a grid system and because of that most navigational errors can be undone quite easily. If you can think in an overhead, Pacman-esque manner then you are basically set. Meanwhile, I have also been known to describe the planning of London's roads in a scenario where someone throws a heap of spaghetti at a wall just before pronouncing "There, that is what we shall go with". Maybe it's really just the end result of a much older city which has grown more organically (re: messily) over the past couple of millenia or so. Maybe.
I'm only just about managing to look the correct way when I cross the street, 100% of the time, now. But my inner sense of navigation still works on the grid system and thanks to that I got lost like all hell in the Leicester square area last night - failing to find my way to the LFA Actors Tower until fifteen minutes into the speech. Even so, I didn't get in! There was but one door, tucked away somewhat, which had a little sign labelled "Theater Door" beside it. I tried the door...but it was locked? I checked the address of the places around it and through the process of elimination, I had to be at the right place and yet...
Well shucks howdy, I took a picture or two but in the end I just explored a bit before heading home. Disappointing? You bet!

Meanwhile, I've been thinking about ways to market myself (market, not whore. Sorry ladies!) and as is the way of the world - the Internet has come to mind. But man, there sure is a lot of stupid jargon floating about these days which suggests that something as simple as a website would not be enough. It would not be Web 2.0, a term which seems destined to eventually sit in the same over-sized, dirty blue plastic bin at the back of a Wal-Mart as Cyberspace or Information Superhighway.

But things like Myspace and Facebook induce an at least partially illogical vomit reflex on my part. They really do. I've tried to look at the former in an objective manner and I do gather how it has helped raise some musical acts profiles. But there is some kind of metaphorical curmudgeon nestled deep inside me which just can't help but find them facile and obnoxious. Maybe I'll swallow a spider to bite the curmudgeon at some point, hopefully not setting off a whole ecosystem in my stomach which may or may not lead to my death, but until then...

Strangely, even though I know the sucessful are greatly outweighed by the obscure and unrewarded, I find my mind keeps wandering back to webcomics. Thanks to somebody*, I've been a regular addict of the medium for about four years now. That sound like two marbles being put down a long chute was Ryan rolling his eyes, by and by. Twice in the past few years he has suggested that I pen my own webcomic and he's not the only one. It isn't terribly hard to translate filmic thinking to comics and I already have 15 mb of webspace from BT to play with.

Back in September, I'd even considered doing a little webcomic, instead of this blog, to chronical my doings over in England. It was going to be a bit of a shamless stylistic rip-off of a pretty popular comic called Overcompensating, in that I'd draw in a fairly similar cartoony style using photos for backgrounds. To be fair, I was going to put my cards on the table and call it "Olivercompensating" while never making any effort to profit from it. Other times I've thought about translating my full script for "Tonight We Fall In Love" into a serialized story. I've even thought about how there are more than few webcomics devoted to taking the piss out of films, but none so far on the film making process (of which I'm aware, anyways).

So the moral of the story is, I've hemmed and hawed about it for a long time without ever seriously pursuing it? NO. The moral is that thanks to a muck-up** at work, I have wound up in possession of several blank sheets of paper I could use to investigate if I have it in me to to cover the artistic side. I have some old "Olivercompensating" sketches to use as a jump-off point and we'll see where it goes from there. By Monday I'd like to have a simple style for drawing people that I could use. This will be the big challenge really, compared to writing, ideas or even the web design side of things. Let's see what comes of it!

* Seriously, Ryan, are you aware of this? Perhaps you should investigate in the hopes of, potentially underage or underattractive, smooches?
**Honestly, not theft. The story is just dull, that' s all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya missed a link Boy

Oliver Brackenbury said...

I done fixed it paw!

Anonymous said...

Good stuff Boy.
Hey that Exo lady's stuff is pretty neat, do you read her page often?

Oliver Brackenbury said...

I have no idea what that is. Email me the link!