Thursday, March 08, 2007

A little follow up from yesterday

I'll tell you, waiting around for inspiration to strike is the route of the sucker and the do-nothing. I forced myself to write out that less than satisfactory bridge and, simply by re-inserting myself into the story, I found myself charting out the rest of the film with greater depth, colour and vigour. Later still, I thought of a way to re-write that lame bridge so that it played nicely into a new scene I'd thought to have and even came up with a great epilogue. If I'd just remained in the state I've been the past little while, floating around the story and patiently waiting for good ideas to just appear....well, I think I'd get about as far as someone sitting around and waiting to get physically fit.

Meanwhile I'm checking out a Film Directors talk at the London Film Academy tonight, which will be followed by films made through both Panico and the LFA. This can't come out without sounding a bit horrid, but I'm looking forward to seeing who I might want to try contacting to work with and who I might want to be thankful I'm more talented than...

Yeah I guess I went there*, along with everybody else who does or plans to do this for a living. What's that you say? An ugly side to the world of film?

*There: A magical land where insecure creative types (that's all of them) can simultaneously appreciate and disparage the work of their peers - taking equal parts of encouragment and inspiration from either activity.

No comments: