Friday, November 03, 2006

Hot Dawg...?

I just got an offer of employment!

The Exciting Bits
- I'd be working in Oxford Circus.
- It would be a rather easy job moderating a web forum for a big video game company (re: not too much effort needed, not going to consume my post-work thoughts and make writing difficult).

The Mediocre Bits
- The pay is a bit mediocre at £7/hr, thought it could be a bit higher as that is just an estimate from the recruiter - I'm told that if it isn't £7 then it will be higher, not lower, as it is in the best interest of the recruiter not to overquote.
- It's only a three month contract, but whatever....it will still be cash and it will open the door to a proper bank account as well as a National Insurance number. Also, future contracts through the same agency?

The Suspiciously Brown Bits
- I'd be moderating a web forum for a big video game company (re: impressing future potential publishing or film employers, ladies).
- At this point I have no clue as to what actual company it is or the precise pay.

I'm supposed to hear back on Monday and I could start work as soon as Tuesday or Wednesday though - so this puts the job way ahead of the folk at Lead Generators, who seem to think that most job hunters can afford to go through their eighty-two week hiring process.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's great that you got the offer, but isn't forum moderation is kind of the ass end of internet work, video game forums being the worst of all. I hope you have a high tolerance for 1337 5p33k.

Seriously, though, congrats! What are the hours like? Any delicious fringe benefits?

Oliver Brackenbury said...

It is probably not going to fill me with overwhelming joy, no...

But as I said in my reply one post down, it's money! I don't many of the details, nor will I until I hear back from the recruitment office tomorrow. I do gather that I'm looking at standard eight hour days, five days a week. Past that? NOTHING.

Frankly, I still hope I hear back from Lead Generators. The only problem with that job is the stupidly drawn-out hiring process.