Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Things are looking up for Mr. Brackenbury!

The last few days have been an absolute whirlwind and so I desperatly need to take stock of the situation while steadying my head. Writing here seems as good a way as any!

READING
Reading was a great deal of fun and it felt good to go out for a drink after two weeks of frantically trying to set things up (with a nice break in Broadstairs as well!). I renewed my friendship with Tim's younger brother, Alex and also have made a decent acquaintance out of a fellow I only tangentially met last time I was here (Michael). Those three, myself and about seven others had a big night out on Saturday in celebration of Tim's 28th birthday (which actually took place on Monday). Last time I was in Reading we went to the local regular joints (The Afro Bar and The Rev) but, as it was Tim's birthday, this time we shared black cabs out to the nearby town of Henley. It took a little while for my mouth to power up, as it can be tricky finding a conversational foothold with a large group of old friends, but soon enough I was relaxed and having as good a time as any.

Conversation flew over a number of topics, including the day's Premier League match between Reading and Chelsea. It was because of this match that the first thing I saw when I got out at the train station was that the streets had a rather high police presence, in anticipation of a different kind of inter-city competition. Later on I asked Tim and Alex if the English reputation for football fan violence was deserved. They explained to me that largely it was not. You do not get small wars breaking out in the stands or any of that. Mostly you can hold the various football clubs responsible for what has almost become an institutionalised form of energy release. Apparently it is not uncommon for two clubs to phone each other up and make sure they're both going to the same pub after the game, so as to ensure a brawl for all to enjoy! I said to Alex that it made them sound a bit kinky, almost like sado-masochists. Little arguement was offered!


The game itself was remarkable not for the score (0-1 for Chelsea) but because both of Reading's goaltenders were knocked unconscious and one of the regular players (left forward, I think) had to sub! You'd think that was what gave Chelsea their goal, but no....it was an own goal. Dear oh dear...still, it was still kind of impressive because this was the first time that Reading had made it into the Premier League in years.

So yeah, drinks and dance and all that jazz. Alex got a bit mashed up and took a girl's number - which was funny because he didn't hear her name and didn't want to look stupid, so he just jammed a thumb at his cell phone. Thus she ended up with the moniker of "Gajm". I think that would be a great name for a dog, which is appropriate since Alex kind of had his vodka shades on.

I thought about bringing my camera, but wisely thought the better of it - who the hell wants a digital camera flash going off in their face while trying to dance or have a drink? So I am afraid the only picture I have from Reading is one of Alex at the end of the night when he swore he would play a great song, then fell sound asleep about seven seconds later. Ah well! The house is in the middle of being redone by the way, 'tis not a drug den. [Editors Note: I removed the picture as it occurred to me that, in my enthusiasm for a good anecdote, I never asked permission to put it up!]

As with my last visit, the lads were very generous and I didn't have to worry about an empty stomach or dry lips for the entirety of my stay. On the Sunday I met up with Tim and Alex's parents, Penny & Julian, for a great lunch (Shephard's Pie) before heading back to London and precious, precious sleep.

EMPLOYMENT

So it would seem that I was a little off about the interview, but it worked out for the best. Today I was to meet with Linda (publishing recruiter for Greythorn) at her office in Holborn for a practice interview as well as a more in-depth assessment of me as a client. This was handy as it gave me more insights in to how job interviews and CV's are done on this side of the Atlantic. I'm told that I did really well and that I can expect an interview with the actual hiring company, Emap, within ten days. I was pleased to learn that Emap is genuinly respectable and they really take care of their employees (full benefits etc). The pay, as it turns out, is actually 24,000 pa plus a 2,000 to 4,000 performance based bonus. I was also glad to get a more detailed job description since the one I got through email was a bit vague, to say the least. I don't know if it is something I would want to do for the rest of my life, but the pay is outstanding (I could defintely afford to live in the heart of London, say Islington or Camden) and it would be really valuable job experience.

It was especially enjoyable to have an excuse to wear a new suit mum was kind enough to help me get just before leaving. I was such a little business man. Feeling good, I took a walk around Holborn (pictures in the next post) and I spotted some more oddly named pubs. I realize I'm being juvenile, but "Cittie of Dorke" is just a little hard to pass up! I also found a super-cheap hardcover of Richard Dawkins new book at a non-chain bookstore (the owner told me he had specifically done a heavy discount on Dawkin's new book, and others, to "stick it to those bastards over at WHS"). I've only had time to read the first ten pages while heading back on the Picadilly line, but it looks great so far. If I had my way, I'd see to it that Dawkins was as well known as Michael Moore or at least Noam Chomsky. He is insightful, well spoken, takes an even approach to any topic and is a very enjoyable read. Naturally, I also respect how he will often say what sound like outrageous claims, but then have plenty of well-formed backup for those claims.

When I got home I found a request for an interview on Friday in my gmail box. It was from LeadGenerators, who'd like to see if I would like to create "highly-searchable articles and other content" for 15,000 pa. I'd be a fool not to go check it out, so that is now in the books for Friday. Plus I have tomorrow's, now much less exciting, interview at the Reed office for temp PA and Secretary work. Ah well!

I feel like that is it for now. So it shall be!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have so much to say, because commenting on your life distracts me from the empty, shallow, consumerist zombie-atrocity that some would call 'adult living.'

Where was I?

Ah, yes.

First of all, the little employment-man is awesome and I am stealing that image. It will haunt you and probably anyone you have ever loved.

Secondly, "pa" is the designated vernacular used to represent 'the mighty British pound?' Weak. All it does is make me think of father. That is to say, your father. That is to say, looks like it's back to therapy for me!

Third, two items in your post made me laugh out loud. The first thing--which illicited the loudest, least-compromising bit of laughter--was the story of the woman now named "Gajm." The second was the story about the man, his guitar, and the instanteous sleep.

Maybe you're not such a bad writer after all!

Oh, and good job on the potential-work!

Oliver Brackenbury said...

The little man: A friend to the people!

PA: This stands for "Pounds Annual". Thus is is how much currency I get dropped off at my residence in a large sack by a man named Rodney. Rodney likes a good kidney pie, he does.

Have no shame over laughing at Gajm. Alex and I blew up over it a couple of times on the following day. But hey, I guess I can write sometimes some things which are not run on sentences except for that one time that I was trying to make a point in a reply to your comment on my site and by the way I still really endorse Richard Dawkins new book also I like ponies