Friday, July 04, 2008

I should be so lucky...

...as to wind up being so totally indifferent to old age as my father, who has found himself on the cover of Fifty-Five Plus magazine expressly for his choice to live like A Human and not the kind of demi-human so many folk resign themselves to being after they've been around long enough.

Addendum: I think my favorite line from the article is where Karen Secord, the author, describes my father as being "propelled by intellect, a quick wit and a fierce sense of self" (emphasis mine). Though I wouldn't argue the first two, it's that third quality which I feel really hits the nail on the head - not only as part of the assessment of my father but in identifying a necessary trait for making the most out of this quick jaunt across the Earth we've lucked into.

12 comments:

Author said...

That's a great article, Oliver - My congrats to your Dad on the recognition! :)

Oliver Brackenbury said...

Thanks! It was fun to read, what with being his spawn, but a strange thing happened when I looked at the photographs.

I don't know if it's because he isn't wearing his glasses in any of them or what, but I kept getting the feeling that I was looking at an Eric Brackenbury Impersonator.

Anonymous said...

SKRULLS!

Anonymous said...

Don't tell me there's a centrefold too!!

Kiting Buddy from Toronto.

Anonymous said...

Karen Secord certainly captured his personality. What a great writer.

Collina.

Anonymous said...

Good article.

Anonymous said...

Eric,

Very nice!!

The photos turned out really great.

Congratulations!!!

Anonymous said...

Eric... what a fantastic insight for all of us who have known you all these years....
Great article... how time flies when you are having fun..
.. glad to have been around to have shared some of your experiences with you..

Keep it going...

Anonymous said...

Nice Pictures! Nice Article.

Thanks for sending on.

Anonymous said...

Good to see you still so active Eric!

Remember Ray Bethell is 81 this year, so you've got a ways before you
grow old.

Anonymous said...

Well done, Eric, to be featured in the magazine. It was a great article, well-written and professional looking with great photos. Nice quotes by Myra and Chris to round things out! Now I can say we know someone famous!

Enjoy the bike trip out west. It sounds wonderful. Looking forward seeing the creativity that inspires.

Anonymous said...

Nice cover picture!!!